Safety footwear must be effective, and in order to be effective it must fit the needs of the worker’s foot.
It is footwear that will be worn for a full working day, every day.
In addition to providing protection, safety footwear must make the worker feel fully comfortable.
Therefore, first of all, it is essential to recognise the needs associated with the activity or profession.
Thus, we must think of the materials used at work, surfaces with liquids that may cause slipping, objects that may fall, or elements that may perforate the sole, among others.
But one of the aspects that is least taken into account and which has the greatest influence on safety and prevention at work in relation to safety footwear is the choice of the correct size.
Why is it important to choose the right size of safety footwear?
It is very important to choose the right size of safety footwear, as the wrong size can have serious consequences for the safety and well-being of the wearer. Some of the problems that can arise with the wrong size are:
- Foot injuries: If safety shoes are too small, they can cause blisters, toe pain and other foot problems. On the other hand, if shoes are too large, they can move around on the foot, which can lead to imbalances and, in extreme cases, falls.
- Ineffective protection: Safety shoes are designed to protect feet from injury at work. If the size is not correct, the protection they provide may be ineffective, jeopardising the safety of the individual.
- Reduced work efficiency: If safety shoes are uncomfortable or cause pain, this can reduce work efficiency and performance, which in turn can increase the risk of injury.
Therefore, it is essential to choose the correct size of safety shoes to ensure adequate protection, optimal comfort and increased work efficiency.
It is recommended that shoes are tried on in a specialised shop or that measurements are taken beforehand to check that they fit properly at the toe, heel and arch of the foot prior to purchase and/or custom design, development and manufacture.
How to measure your foot before buying safety footwear?
There are several ways to measure your foot in order to choose the right size of safety footwear. Here are some useful tips on how to do this:
- Do it in the evening or at the end of the day: It is advisable to measure your feet at the end of the day, as your feet may swell during the day and therefore be a little bigger.
- Wear socks: Use the same models of socks that you are going to equip your work equipment with and use with the safety footwear in question, as this will affect the size to be used in each case.
- Use a ruler or tape measure: Place a ruler or tape measure on the floor and place the foot on it, measuring from the tip of the big toe to the heel. Repeat the process with the other foot and choose the longest measurement to choose the right size.
- Take note of the shape of the foot: It is also important to take into account the shape of each foot. If you have a high arch or a specific shape, it would be important to get safety shoes that fit that shape for greater comfort.
It is important to note that each brand of shoes may be sized slightly differently, so it is best to try on shoes before you buy them if possible or have a custom shoe maker make them for you.
If it is not possible to try on footwear before design, development, manufacture and purchase, make sure you choose a size that is similar to the size used by the team for other shoes or consult the brand or manufacturer’s sizing charts to ensure you choose the right size.
Do you already know how to measure your foot to select the size of safety footwear that best fits the feet of your work team? Leave us a comment.
Remember! If you are looking for a strategic partner for the design, development and production of your high quality custom-made safety footwear to protect your workers from all occupational hazards or for distribution, GPI can help you.