TPU soles, which stands for Thermoplastic Polyurethane, are a type of sole with great resistance and the ability to mould to any area, which is why they are frequently used in the safety footwear industry.
Thermoplastic polyurethane is a material that is mainly characterised by high resistance to abrasion, oxidation, tearing and low temperatures, which gives footwear superior durability.
In addition, due to its elasticity and cushioning, these soles have the benefit of adjusting to the footprint of each person, increasing the perception of comfort and grip in the tread.
Also called high-strength TPU, this material is not only used in safety footwear, but can be found in a wide variety of products, such as pipes, casings, cables, pulleys and others.
TPU is not only used for its strength, but also for cushioning and firmness of footing, but these are not its only advantages.
What are the benefits of TPU soles?
Producing soles with such a versatile material as TPU is beneficial for manufacturers and buyers, as they are increasingly interested in quality products, thanks to the wide range of benefits that TPU soles offer, as can be seen below.
The benefits of TPU soles are:
- Having no metal components, TPU soles offer superior elasticity. This means that it is mouldable and conforms better than other materials to the shape of the foot, making them generally comfortable soles.
- The flexibility of the material makes it possible to produce a very wide range of soles, depending on the line, shape or type of shoe the manufacturer produces.
- Thermoplastic polyurethane is recyclable, making TPU shoes an environmentally sustainable product.
- The durability of footwear is increased by the use of this elastomer in the soles, making it the first material used by safety boot manufacturers.
- TPU soles have a superior level of resistance that minimises erosion levels and low temperatures, showing minimal wear to friction with oils and greases, adding an extra benefit to footwear using this material.
- In addition to increasing all the physical attributes of the shoes, using these soles makes the gluing process easier in their manufacture, due to the fact that it absorbs glue quickly without the need for halogenated solvents, thus eliminating the use of solvents.
Did you know about TPU soles and their application in the safety footwear industry? Do you want to know more about this and other types of materials and manufacturing processes? Find out more interesting information in our blog.
If you are looking for a strategic partner for the design, development and production of your high quality custom-made safety footwear for distribution or prevention of occupational hazards in your workforce, GPI can help you.
Contact us without obligation, and discover our services to take your project forward.
We want to be the footwear department of your company!